Saturday, August 26, 2006

Search Finished....No Pot of Gold I'm Afraid

Yeah I couldn't find the lepricauns in Ireland, or their lucky charms for that matter. However, it has been a fun week as Dublin is a very cool place to visit. I almost feel I'm getting to know my way around that city now and I enjoy its distinctive culture although I'm not able to describe it. But I can describe one or two of the events of the past week using through the magic of digital photography.

This is the River Liffey, flowing through the centre of Dublin.


And Dublin's 'Spike' which as far as I'm aware is a tall thing that sticks up in the air to give some character to the skyline. Doesn't do much else but give 14 year olds something to lean on as they look tough sharing a cigarette.


And a view from St Stephen's Green, one of the biggest parks within a city in Europe. Apparently. Personally, I don't think it's all that big.


This is from within the grounds of Trinity College.


Trinity College is of course famous for housing the Book of Kells. However, you have to pay to see it and I saw it once when I was ten. Therefore I decided it far wiser to take a photo of the sign instead.


Now if you are ever financially challenged and find yourself in Dublin, not a good idea as the price of alcohol is through the roof. However, you can save a euro or two by beating the system. Now James Bond would be proud of this. When we entered the Guinness brewery we were told you can only go into the lifts and to the glass walled gravity bar at the very top if you bought a ticket for 14 euros. (9 for tax dodgers like me). Hmm, something smells fishy and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple pie. Last time I visited the Guinness place I never paid a cent and still got up to the bar with stunning views across Dublin. Then I remembered...take the stairs, no one checks for tickets there. Walk up and enjoy the view. Although I must point out they wouldn't let us buy a Guinness up there without our tour tickets but the thrill of beating the Irish security system was a substantial source of adrenalin and the black stuff could wait until it was cheaper back on the ground.

Oh and another cash-saving tip - you may as well visit Dublin in the winter when it's cheaper as winter is exactly the same as the middle of August in Ireland.


But I would advise hiring a tour guide. Ours was shit, considering he is a complete twat. Here is our useless guide maintaining his appearance.


The continuous lack of acknowledgement for those who paid significant funds to visit Niall drove Catrin to photographing this behaviour as she'd never seen anything like it.


What a twat-head. Speaking of twat-heads, I must also point out that this was the first trip to Dublin I have been on in recent years that hasn't involved a game or two of strip poker. Just a coincidence that it was these other occasions were graced with the presence of Lois? What a devious little minx she is.

1 Comments:

Blogger M-J said...

Oh Matty, you are ever so sneaky. You must've been wearing sneakers.

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home