Thursday, August 10, 2006

Can't we all just be friends?

Some things suck.

I woke up this morning in a good mood for once following a productive day yesterday and excited for another one today and my first pre-season soccer match this evening. Yeah, that didn't last long. I guess you've all heard how Britain is on a critical alert today which apparently means a terrorist attack is imminent. Bollocks.

As I'm writing now, I understand 21 people have been arrested and police believe they were going to blow up 'multiple' planes over the atlantic. That sucks. Now, they haven't revealed the nationality or any details of these terrorist suspects and to be honest, it doesn't matter to me. What scares me is that innocent families are at risk, who could have been going on their holidays or anything.

The biggest frustration for me is that whoever was behind this alleged attack puts the lives of people who haven't done anyone any harm whatsoever at risk. And I'm not so narrow-minded to forget my country have done this as well, in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever (just thinking of the last few years!). Or I'm not so self-centred that I haven't thought of those civilians in danger in Lebanon/Israel right now or every single war that has ever been fought. I realise I shouldn't only show concern (i.e. blog) when my life is affected by conflict but it's not a nice feeling I'm having right now and just want to vent a little. In fact, I try to avoid getting too into worldwide events so I don't live my whole life in a state of paranoia.

I know I haven't been directed effected by what happened today and even if the worse had happened, I don't think I would have been immediately effected by that either. But I just don't like something that has nothing to do with me giving me cause for concern. Let me explain.

Last year, when London was attacked by suicide bombers, I was in Canada. I felt horrible at seeing somewhere I am extremely familiar with smashed up and awful for the people in the middle of everything. However, I was able to reflect on how happy I was at that time. I was working a job I thoroughly enjoyed, financially comfortable and socially active. There were no stresses at all living in Wolfville and it was a life I have aspired to ever since. I also realised the benefits of living in Nova Scotia, where, despite terrorism being rife in my home country, I knew it was happening in a different world to me and my family and I were safe.

I realise that sounds pretty selfish and self-centered but I can't lie, I am not particularly interested in global conflicts. I don't believe I hold any serious prejudices against any particular group of people (except women drivers - JOKING!!) and don't go around ranting over who is right and who is wrong in politics, religion or whatever. Maybe I debate about who Manchester United should be buying or who Wales should be picking but really is that the end of the world? Therefore, is it too much to ask to escape from the dangers of the 21st century?

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense to anyone but I know what I'm trying to say and I feel better having got it off my chest. I'm just trying to keep out of way and have fun. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

PS. Remembered what I wanted to say in my last post. Apparently my Great-Great Grandparents are Irish - proper Irish. And so I was wondering Whisky Dan, does that make me more Irish than you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I understand what you were saying. When I woke up and heard about the interrupted plot to simultaneously blow up nine planes heading to the US, what I thought about were all the people who I have known within the last year who have flown international flights from North America to Europe. And thinking about what could have happened is so awful. But, they caught them before anything happened, which is a GOOD step. This is what's going on in our world right now, I guess there's not much we can do about it except just hope they keep one step ahead of the terrorists.

Don't get on a plane with terrorists when you come home to Nove Scotia... kthanks.

8:38 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

I think its a good thing that they're checking for liquids, especially when you hear about how the bombs were going to be created and disguised. I heard on the radio about some Canadian travellers travelling within our own boarders who were finding the extra security (including banning liquids) to be "an inconvinience". Honestly, I find that selfishness deplorable and completely rediculous. I hope so-and-so doesn't find it inconvinient when terrorist-bomber-guy blows up a bomb on his airplane. Ah well, at least he gets to drink his Dr. Pepper while being blown to smitherines and crashing to the ground.

2:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home