Monday, June 05, 2006

London Busted

What a weekend. I love London, it's so retro and trendy. Although I have been to the city several times before, I still yearn for the life of those who were having a drink on the banks of the Thames or watching the sun set over the skyline from their riverside apartments. It is a cool place to visit.

Obviously the best part was hanging out with Lauren and Carolyn. So very very strange seeing them in Britain. I felt the same last year when Doctah and Dan came to visit (oh no, Dan stayed in Canada) as it's so surreal to see my friends from another world in mine. I am also so surprised that Carolyn is still with us. HOW CAN ONE PERSON SCREW UP CROSSING THE ROAD EVERY SINGLE TIME?!?

In London, it's even printed on the road 'look right' for those idiots everywhere else in the world who drive on the wrong side of the road, but oh my, I lost count of the number of times she was left stranded on a traffic island or had to sprint in front of a cab.

Canadian people are funny. Lauren's friend Matt (not me) got confused getting off the tube when the driver announced next stop 'buru,' expecting 'Burrow' for the stop 'Borough.' We don't have time to pronounce all the letters people! (Note to self - take quotation mark addiction tablets) And both girls loved our bus tour guide for his excessive use of the word blimey! Little things, little things.

Erm what else? Yeah they enjoyed Notting Hill. I know Hugh Grant also thinks so, but it is one of my favourite parts of London, so alternative and funky. Many houses are painted different colours and the market is very different to the norm so it all adds up. Also the fact I have found a fantastic coffee shop opposite the actual travel book shop, somewhere I first had to visit after a 2 and a half year wait. And everyone enjoyed the traditional British curry my new friend Terry took us out for, lovely meal, I'm very grateful to that man. What? It is our national dish according to Tony Blair.

Obviously we did the touristy stuff but hopefully the travellers enjoyed the other things that people like me know about to show them. We saw Notting Hill, not on the traditional tour, picknicked in the grounds of Westminster Abbey and visited one of the world's largest hands-on toy stores, Hamleys. Adam, Carolyn says she could leave you in there for days. However, she also said me and her would have some make-out time when Lauren and Danielle moved to another part of the bus.

One thing a traditional tour of London does not include is the opportunity for a photo in front of a traditional landmark holding a sign saying something about Cole Hobson. Said sign is now winging its way around Europe so keep an eye out. I have a couple of photos which I'll try to get round to posting but not Cole ones as I forgot my camera on that excursion. What is holding me up is that my computer is currently awaiting an operation after suffering two viruses in two weeks so I'm on my brothers. I don't like its manufacturers so am hoping a mate of mine can sort it out for some cash.

Speaking of cash, I'm off to my Grandma's tomorrow for a couple of days gardening. Right now I'm waiting to get the ok for my dissertation so am in a money-making mood. Spent today washing Dad's caravan in the sun, happy days. Apart from that, I've enrolled on an Entrepreneurship module at uni just for the hell of it and perhaps it'll give me a kick up the backside to one day get a proper job. Probably not though.

Ok gang, don't watch your step - mind your step and have fun!

4 Comments:

Blogger DJO said...

I miss Europe.

...oh wait, I've never been.

5:38 am  
Blogger Laura said...

:) I HAVE!!!

2:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

7:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

8:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home