Thursday, June 22, 2006

Computers Suck

And why do computers suck? Well, because you have to pay hundreds of pounds to buy one yet in today's fantastically technologically-driven world they break after just 2 years. Well to be precise, the first laptop I ever bought broke after less than a year when the motherboard did something. So I had a free laptop to replace it. This laptop, 2 and a half years later has to go to the doctors soon to see if its motherboard is knackered. What a gip. And I tell you what adds to the frustration, that I had to call the company at least 6 times to establish that I may have a motherboard problem after receiving a virus at an extortionate rate. Oh, I nearly forgot, with a 20 minute on-hold period. Medion, despite being a total left bollock of a company still makes a fortune out of suckers like me. I really should know better.

So that's one frustration this week. The second being I am currently waiting around to start my dissertation and I can't without my supervisor. However, I haven't been assigned a supervisor despite the process only supposed to take 2-3 weeks, 5 weeks ago. I hate that. I really do get incredibly irritated when someone says they'll do something and doesn't. If you can't that's fine. If it'll take longer than you thought, fine. But please don't promise something based on years of experience and when you don't do it, say nothing. For example, the person in charge of allocating my supervisor emailed me on Monday February 27th saying she was sorry for already going over the deadline for returning an assignment but would have the marks back "by the end of this week, and in any case no later than Monday of next week." I received my mark on the 13th of March, 2 weeks later! That's bullshit, I'm sorry but following her original email I had been checking online every day since. If you can't be sure of doing something, don't promise it. Twat. Hopefully I will soon be able to plan my summer, I think. Yeah, that bugs me.

Honestly, if I hadn't had the world cup to watch this past week I reckon I would have punched at least a hundred people. But that's inexcusable. Really, people should have a very good reason if they want to get into a fight. One instance that is not a good reason is A GROWN MAN PUNCHING A SEVEN YEAR OLD BOY IN THE HEAD in Scotland this week, in front of the kid's dad. Why you ask. Because the boy committed the cardinal sin of.....wearing an England soccer shirt in Scotland. What a dickhead. There is currently a big hunt for this man in Scotland and a reward out for him. Good. Go find him.

Sometimes I really wonder about the people in this country. Has anyone seen those 'fan park' things in Germany? You know, where they have huge TV screens by rivers in picturesque areas of the big cities? Yeah, so people can watch the world cup games with bars and bands and mix with other fans. So, we have the Germans watching games with the Poles together, the Germans watching with the Dutch, the Germans watching with the French, very harmoniously. (Note the common theme) However, guess which country has had to resort to switching off the big screens in its city centres when the football is on because of violence between its own residents? Yes, well done England - we can't show the football in London and Manchester because of too much fighting between the English and the English. Honestly you wouldn't believe the (accurate) horrible reputation of yobbishness and thuggery that goes with being British the moment you set foot on the continent. Wankers.

Before I go, I cannot confirm the sightings of any Serbia & Montenegro supporters at these German fan parks. I think they're all hiding in the corner in shame. But to be fair, I didn't think a two goal head start on a team that has never won a world cup game before and is nicknamed the elephants was enough either.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Man, I totally just had this website opened AS it updated. Freaky. Means I can be the first to comment.... should really have read the post though before I commented, doncha think?

12:58 pm  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

yeah if it's not too much effort. much appreciated!

6:33 pm  
Blogger DJO said...

Apprently Lois doesn't want to share you.

As for your computer problems, buy a mac. Those new MacBooks are getting rave reviews from everyone. Even the BBC was praising them last week.

I've enjoyed watching the World Cup in Nova Scotia. It's great to go to the bars and sit with people who just arbitrarily support a team. Or support a team based on their ancestory. It sounds like we're way more friendly than you 7-year-old bashing English blokes.

8:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home