Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Marketing Tidal Wave

Yeah, so I'm studying a Masters in Marketing and spend almost every hour of the week trying to work out how to extract as much money from as many people as possible, even if they don't need to. I know it's not the most noble way to go in life and it makes me seem shallow when I meet people studying more helpful courses such as Nursing or Teaching but I'm just trying to look after number one - me!

Anyway, I know how much marketing and advertising appear in society today. Well, I thought I knew but didn't realise how excessive it can be until it affected me the other day. I'm warming up for soccer, strectching, and at one point all I was looking at were my goalie gloves and football boots. Now, I have played soccer since I was a wee kid and have experimented with many companies' products. After trial and error, I prefer to wear Nike boots and gloves. Honestly, I find them most comfortable and effective at what they're supposed to do and yes, they do display a fancy logo, I can't deny that.

Look, here are the boots and gloves I wear:



And then it struck me, there are a hell of a lot of "Swooshes" I'm advertising here and counted them. How many Nike Swooshes would you expect to be on one pair of boots and one pair of gloves? Think about it.....eighteen? Yeah, eighteen! That really blew me away, eighteen - just in case you missed the first seventeen. It's a funny world, it really is.

In other news, following my blog on movie sequels, it appears George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon were reading. Guys, if you are, say hi! Because it turns out they have decided to sign up for Ocean's 13! Now I love Ocean's 11, it's one of my favourite movies because just like the Bond films, I watch it and want to be like those guys on screen, they're so cool. So obviously, I was excited for Ocean's 12, more excited than any other movie I've ever seen, apart maybe from the 3rd Austin Powers. I was so excited I paid for Cole to come and see it with me and Doctah for his birthday, my addrenalin was making me forget the value of money. Seriously, why would I want to go with Cole? Anyway, I was let down. It was not a patch on the first one, what a dissapointment.

So Ocean's 13, I am only allowing you to continue with this project as it is an opportunity for you to redeem yourselves and make up for Ocean's 12....you have been warned!

6 Comments:

Blogger M-J said...

Holy Crap! That's a lot of swooshes! But I totally buy things for how they look...I'm a sucker for pretty packaging.

3:03 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

I kinda liked Oceans 12... Looking forward to lucky number 13 now!

5:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets just get together our own ocean's 11 team and rob someplace. Here are the characters.

Dan (boss), Adam (bitch), Cole (dealer), Dub (mastermind), Jeff (the professional poker player), Matt (self-proclaimed James Bond), Igor (explosives), T (technical expert and electronics), Nana (black-jack dealer, cuz u always need a black guy), Rusty (driver) and Burnholtz (cuz u need a jew to pretend to be a rich investor), and then we can brake into a local Kwik-way.

Of course, if somebody was to play us, obviously Pierce Brosnan would play Matt and I would be played by George Clooney no doubt, or by the cartoon character of Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Anyways, peace brothah and this time next year we'll be milionaries.

I-giggity-no-diggity

6:15 pm  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

that sounds such a great idea and pierce brosnan would be an excellent choice to play me.

however - dub with his 0.0 as the mastermind, doctah who never wins as the poker player, T as anything to do with technology...in fact T as anything in the plan and Rusty would drive off with all the looted laptops on his own anyway!

I nominate Homer Simpson to play T

10:31 am  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

No wait, I just remembered...

Ben Affleck can play me cos I look like him, remember Emmj?

6:38 pm  
Blogger M-J said...

HA! If you say so Matty. But that means I get to be Tess, in which I am played by Julia Roberts! I look like her, right?....minus the big lips of course.

11:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home