Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What's a Commonwealth?

Despite possessing an A Level in the subject, it appears I know nothing about geography. My history isn't very good either but I already knew that. This week I have learnt that apparently countries including South Africa, Pakistan and Jamaica are part of the Commonwealth. Honestly, I had no idea and there are several others as well. My knowledge of British history certainly is limited in some areas.

However, I am going to blame the media and the royals. One of those two is usually to blame for everything and this case is no exception. Firstly it is the royal family's fault for former British colonies to find them unnecessary so they play their 'get out of jail free' card as soon as possible, dissapearing into oblivion. Secondly, because the so called 'British' media is so unbelievably Englishly biased, I have hardly watched any of the Commonwealth Games. Therefore, I have missed potential international lessons as I have decided I would prefer not to learn about some English person nearly getting into a final or nearly getting onto the podium, with barely a reference to that little principality next door. Maybe I should say well done to David Davies and every other Welsh competitor, as they may not get another mention until late tonight on BBC Wales. Rant over.

However, without wanting to lay into TV too much (let's never fight again), I must applaud UKTV Gold for its current campaign of trying to establish who is Britain's greatest comedy superhero? This means that when I finally finish work, I can spend an hour or two each night before I go to bed, with this fine selection of entertainers. Late night TV may be my favourite part of the day now, apart from sleep of course, that's where I'm a Viking.





You know, when I was working at Joe's I met a regular couple who emmigrated from Britain in the 70s. They'd been in Canada so long they'd never heard of Only Fools and Horses or Fawlty Towers and I felt so sorry for them. What a loss.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manage-a-trois Rodney!

Apparently, u guys had a vote for the funniest moment in british comedy and trotters won with that episode of del-boy rodney and grandad replacing the chandeleer (i know i mispelt it).

I like how u got in there the ministry of silly walks...

Aight matthew, peace brothah and this time next year we'll be millionaries.

I-giggity-no-diggity

11:08 pm  
Blogger M-J said...

I like the Ralph Wiggam quote, but I have to say...the rest of it...kinda boring. You really should stick to stealing my blogs :D

1:21 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

Never heard of Fawlty Towers? When I got my wisdom teeth out, I had an entire week of power (for the first part of it) but no cable because of a major snowstorm. I was living with my grandparents at the time, and all they had was the Fawlty Towers collection that my parents had given them for Christmas on VHS. I watched every single Fawlty Towers show over and over and over...

3:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all!
live chat Good job.....thanks.....Must be a reason to find friends in your area! Try this page....
Try to find

4:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home