Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wellity Wellity Wellity....Goody Goody Flanders needs help from Stinky Pants Simpson

So Wimbledon is here again, as they say. However, although I can't be sure, I don't think Wimbledon goes anywhere else for the rest of the year. I'll look into it but I haven't seen a suburb of London on the Eurostar just yet.

And what does Wimbledon bring with it? Yes that hysteria only the British can exhibit as they convince themselves our players are far superior to the higher ranked, more successful opponents. Case in point - England at the World Cup. Anyway, this year is slightly different as everyone knows Henman won't beat Federer tomorrow in the 2nd round and despite accepting Murray is an incredible talent, people tend to think he hasn't the physical stamina to maintain his performance over two weeks. Yet. Oh, nearly forgot Greg Rusedski (already out at time of print) who despite being Britain's official Number 1, has been banished to the outside courts that no-one watches. Apparently he's become more Canadian now he doesn't win as many matches as when he first came over here.

But what Wimbledon has also brought with it (back from its holidays) in recent years is the debate over equal pay. Now don't get me wrong, I am perhaps the most chauvanistic person in the world. I believe women should be at home making the tea and not playing tennis. However, if they are unmarried then ok, they may be allowed to pursue other interests, such as playing tennis. And if so, I really am a little ashamed that women players do not get paid as much as their male counterparts at Wimbledon.

People argue that as women play fewer sets than men at the major championships, then they shouldn't get paid as much. Personally, I shout Balderdash! Are they seriously suggesting men train more outside of games? travel more in between events? take longer in the showers? My untrained tennis eye very much doubts this. It's the average players I genuinely feel sorry for, not really that the winner only gets six hundred and something thousand (which the French think is the problem), but those who have to pay their air-fares and accomodation and coaching fees etc. out of their winings, not the millions Nike or Adidas give them each year.

Shit. I guess this means I agree with Venus Williams, who has been the most outspoken tennis star this week. I've never really liked her or her sister but she does make a good argument, pointing out that last year's women's final was longer than the men's. Seriously, Wimbledon should catch up with the rest of us, in the 21st century. Oh and take that more time on the court argument with you when you go on holiday in two weeks time.

PS. Good luck Andre Agassi, one of my favourite players because of his whole attitude towards the game, as he takes on his final ever Wimbledon.
PPS. Title is one of my favourite Simpsons lines and just popped into my head. It would have been "People, People...We're all frightened and Horny" but I used it last year in a group email and still giggle and Jeffrey's reply stating he wasn't frightened.
PPPS. I haven't used many illustrations in this blog recently so here are a few to continue the tennis theme of this post. Ciao!






(Shh...Sharapova's my favourite!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Wasn't Wimbledon that movie with the elf from Lord of the Rings?!

Just kidding. You shouldn't talk about women's rights for equal pay, then objectify them by showing clearly derogatory pictures of them.

PS - Do you have a girlfriend yet? I figure its because you think that she should spend all her time in the kitchen. Yup. You're going to be single for a while looking for a women who is willing to be oppressed by you!

I thought this post would be about the latest issue with tennis that women dress too skimpy and that some people want them not to. I think I heard that somewhere - but maybe I didn't!

11:55 am  
Blogger Laura said...

I guess you don't think I'm very nice anymore, eh?! ;-)

3:01 pm  
Blogger Doctah J said...

I'm still not frightened.

7:17 pm  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

Yeah Laura I was going for irony. Next time I'll draw a picture.

10:04 am  
Blogger Laura said...

You know whats ironic?

-rain on your wedding day
-a free ride when you've already paid
-good advice that you just didn't take
-a traffic jam when you're already late
-a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
-ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife (imagine being somewhere that had TEN THOUSAND spoons!)
-meeting the man of your dreams and then meeting his beautifl wife.

Seriously Matty. Where did YOU learn your irony from? Clearly not from Canada!

12:36 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

ps - I'm expecting a picture on your blog of IRONY next time! :P

12:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One argument has been made which i think stands out as far as why women don't get payed as much as the men. It is my understanding from both observing women's tennis and listening to the sports analysts that women are simply not trained enough and not skilled enough to play. Take the two sisters Venus and Serena, they are for the past 5-6 years in the top 5 women's players, yet they hit a flat footed no top spin backhand and clearly rely on their power of their serve and forehand to beat out opponents. It is very rare to see a really skilled woman tennis player such as a Justin-Henin, Martina Hingis, (who is too weak and slow yet highly skilled) and Leyton Hewitt's ex whose name i cannot remember. For those that follow tennis, how many players in men's tennis in the top ten rely on their power and nothing more. I think they are all class acts and rely appreciate the level they play at and what they do. Even Maria Sharapova whose pics i'm crazy about is not skilled enough, and hasnt mastered as solid backhand shot yet. So I see the argument beyond gender, imagine if a soccer league in Botzwana started complaining how the average salary of the players there doesn't match the average salary of the English Premier league. Well, get better, increase the level of competitiveness, have an overall sound game, and get better and move to the premiership.

Peace out bitches,

I-giggity-no-diggity

7:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home