Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Skill or Chance?

Very interesting article today in The Times. Apparently there has been a recent surge of member clubs in Britain that facilitate the game of poker. An investigation is out to rule whether or not this is allowed according to how poker is defined. If it is deemed a game of skill, these clubs are ok but if it is deemed a game of chance, they will have to stop hosing poker tournaments.

This got me thinking. I have always thought of hold 'em, especially no limit, as a game of skill as I am always in control and playing against opponents, not the house. I don't like 7 card draw because I find you're playing against the odds. Therefore, my opinion is that certain forms of the game should be classified as a game of skill.

Obviously, there is always going to be an aspect of chance. But this is the case for all games/sports. The chance the goalie might go the right way in soccer, the chance the putt will break more than you think, the chance you might hit Adam's door playing indoor darts.

Hold 'em, however, I believe your skill dictates the chance. For example, if I was playing Cole, I know he'd have no chance of winning.

The jury is deciding. However, whatever the verdict, I am sure it won't stop me taking Lois, Cat and Sarah for all they've got!

2 Comments:

Blogger Matty Welsh said...

sorry, who are you?

11:10 am  
Blogger DJO said...

I think it's a game of skill. Unless I'm not winning. If I'm not winning, then clearly its a game of chance.

12:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home