Monday, October 09, 2006

No Doctah, I'm the real Bob the Builder

Erm, I'll start by apologising to my loyal fan base (MJ) that I haven't been in much contact this last week. Yeah I have moved to Canada and spent much of the week settling in. From settling in, read buying things for the apartment.

Unfortunately I haven't started work yest as because the company is creating a position for me, I'm waiting for final confirmation from the head office accountants they can afford me. I like how the end of that last sentence sounds. Anyway, it's a day by day thing waiting for news which is unbelievably frustrating but I just have to keep thinking of the big picture - the job I'm after is really good with an excellent company so I'm being as patient as possible. And tight with my cash when I can be.

However, some opportunities you can't pass up when they come around regardless of one's current employment situation. After a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner at Cole's, we went to pick up mine and Dan's latest investment. Who else do you know can squeeze a table tennis table into a two bedroom apartment? Exactly.


Now, trust me, we have plenty of room for it. The guesswork has been done and all we need to do is rearrange some of the furniture. But Dan's still in New Brunswick and I'm not doing it all by myself - hence the cluttered living room at the moment.

And to try and dampen the handywork Doctah J has been doing for a few months, building his own furniture pretty much from scratch, here's what I had to start the day with.



Yeah that's right, bits of table tennis table and a safety instruction sticker. Why the bits of table tennis table you ask? Well, we had an issue or two transporting the table across town last night.

This was no simple task, such as shifting my double bed through downtown Halifax on a couple of shopping trolleys. No, this involved getting a table tennis table into Cole's car. Would have been fine if Scotty still had his truck but we had to make do with Cole's smaller than you'd think jeep. After using our resident engineer (Hines) to dismantle the thing, ignore the constant jipes following my using the word 'spanner' to describe a wrench and trying to buy a cat and assuming the table would fit, we discovered it wouldn't. My bad.

Fortunately enough we had a reserve Matt (Cole's neighbour) to tie our table parts onto the roof of the jeep. Just about. If you've ever been a passenger in a car driven by Cole Hobson, you'd know that aside from shoving vegetables into his person, he accelerates extremely sharply, avoids braking until is absolutely necessary and changes his mind regularly over which lane he prefers. This does not help the nerves of a person anxious to get a new table tennis table back in however many pieces we dismantled it into.

However, we did get the new toy home safely and then I'd have no worries. You'd think. Hey Dan, wonder where all your crap was? Yeah, under the sofa.


What a slob I live with. But if you can put up with him, please drop round anytime you wish for some table tennis. Maybe I'll just turn pro instead of pursuing my marketing career?

4 Comments:

Blogger DJO said...

Beware of the sofa. It eats socks!

That table looks so awesome! We need to pick a date for the D&M Ping Pong Invitational.

11:03 am  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

Don't you mean the Double W's Ping Pong Invitational?

12:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post, and I found your description of Cole's driving to be quite accurate :)

I would also like to tell you that I love ping pong and I'm on my way over to your apartment to play as we speak.

-Monica

1:48 pm  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

Oooohhhh....why don't you just post that comment a second time, make sure we get your point?!

2:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home