Thursday, October 26, 2006

So why live in Canada?

I get asked that question a lot. Apparently Nova Scotians are somewhat surprised and amazed that I would choose to live here. Yet I still struggle to articulate my reasoning. (How about that for proper English Laura?!?) So here is one of the reasons.

Now back home, we are used to landscapes and countryside such as the following, which heavily feature hills, river valleys and sheep.



And of course, castles, like Castell Coch.


Now this one is my favourite and just below the castle is one of the prettiest golf courses I've ever played as the castle itself is a dominant backdrop for every hole and can distract your opponent whilst you mess up a tee shot.

But anyway, Canada's different. Aside from the stunning national parks I've camped at during the summer and the Christmas Card effect the snow brings, the autumn ('fall' if you're that way inclined) is quite pretty too. In fact, I know it is Doctah J's favourite time of the year because of the different colours (colors for stupid people - Laura) of the leaves. Which I completely understand as these photos (hopefully) will show you.





So where were these pictures taken? Way out in the sticks? No, this is Point Pleasant Park, situated at the bottom of my road, a mere ten minute walk. As I do actually live pretty centrally within Halifax, I too was surprised to discover this location which is now where I go running. And I do prefer this setting to my old route, doing laps around the West End of Barry. It's places such as this which make Nova Scotia such a relaxing and pleasant part of the world to live in. Once the snow comes I'll go and take some more photos as I'm sure they'll look pretty cool as well.

Before I forget, check this little chappy out.


Canada is full of chipmunks and red squirrels such as this one, whose only objection to having his photo taken was that I wasn't allowed to show his face. I prefer these reds to those evil grey squirrels that have made the red squirrel endangered (they're not extinct yet, are they?) back home.

However, no part of Western society would be complete without a constant reminder of how man has overtaken the planet. For Port Talbot, see Dartmouth, the view from the other side of Point Pleasant.

4 Comments:

Blogger M-J said...

And if you come out here to visit us, you will get to see Canadian mountains!

11:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree! canada rocks! - in the summer, snow and AUTUMN ;) wanna move there too - just got to convince chris

8:14 am  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

convince chris to move in about a year, then I can take his job and move to sydney!

1:40 pm  
Blogger Tara said...

Those were great pics Mat, they make me home sick... We are just cooling off down here but you can still wear shorts of you want. Have you been back to Wolfville for any visits?
Take care hun

3:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home