Monday, March 26, 2007

Selling Out

So it's been a while. Not much happening you ask? Well no, not really to be honest. But one significant piece of news, which I'm sure everyone knows by now anyway, is that I'm leaving Canada in May.

There are several reasons for this decision, including my Grandma's 80th birthday, my cousin is having her first baby and there are the possibilities of sharing a beer with Doctah J in Monaco and with MJ in London over the summer. Added to that, of course I miss my family and friends over there very much. Though it's not an easy decision to make, because of all the wonderful friends I have here in Canada and the good times we do have.

However, one big factor was a couple of weeks ago, a large marketing company in Halifax asked me to do an assignment for them as a test to see if I'd be a good addition to their staff. That went well, I had a productive meeting with the Vice President and I decided if they offered me a position I would take it. But then they dithered over the decision and after going two weeks without a yes or no I decided I didn't want it any more. What I realised was that at nearly 25 years of age and with 2 degrees in the bank, I finally should grow up a little bit and find a proper job, which goes against a lot of my principles of messing around in the restaurant game.

I love working at Dofsky's, with my mate Richie - trying to outdo each other with our Borat impressions and then going for some beers after work. I do enjoy that my day starts at 6pm and genuinely get a kick out of serving people, especially when they love the wine I recommend or the cocktail I've just made them. But it can't last forever. Dan and I had a pleasant evening at Bearly's last night, listening to a pretty cool blues jam but we were served by a waiter who was about 40. That was another message - grow up Matty!

So I'm gonna try and get a career of somesorts in Cardiff - I've always known I don't want to live in Halifax forever and then I can try and save some pennies to visit Australia and Fiji next year. After all, Richie will be in Perth then in his brother-in-law's restaurant, so I can sponge some accomodation and if the rat race is getting too intense, escape back to my roots there.

Scott Skins Cheese and Bacon please mate!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Bummer about the timing... I'll just miss you! I'm going to be in UK a bit during April. Heading to London, then Morocco, Spain, back to UK then Germany, then back to London again. Haha. I was even planning on being in Bristol for a couple days.... pretty close to you!

Anyways, I'm sure you'll miss Halifax a tonne, but it definitely sounds like a good decision for you. Good luck with the move and job hunt!

10:36 pm  
Blogger Matty Welsh said...

Thanks Lauren

Sounds like there won't be an inch of Europe left that you haven't seen - putting me to shame!

Do let me know if you do spend any time in Britain on the way back, maybe we could go for another pint without Carolyn dragging us behind whilst we wait for her to cross the road?!

4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'll be arriving back in Vancouver again on April 26th... so I don't think we'll connect this time around.


However, it looks like there is a chance I might actually be moving to the UK in the fall. I'm not really sure what'll happen yet, or exactly where I'll be... but if so, imagine all the pints we could have after I'd be a regular pro at crossing the road. And I can come to Wales so you could introduce me to your favourite sheep, and to your mum, the Queen!

3:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home